Oily hair is a major concern for many men and women today. Not only is this an embarrassing problem, but it can also be a sign that you are not caring for your hair properly. Although it’s perfectly normal to experience oily hair from time to time, if the problem becomes a chronic issue, you may need to make some major changes to your hair care routine. Purchasing a bottle of the best shampoo for oily hair is a great start, but you will also need to make some adjustments to how you care for your hair. Before we talk about which shampoos work best, let’s talk about what causes oily hair and how to properly care for it.
What Causes Oily Hair?
There are many factors that can contribute to oily, or “greasy,” hair. Some causes are easy to remedy, while others may be out of your control. The most common causes of oily hair are:
– Oily hair can develop if you wash your hair irregularly. Not only that, but residue from hair care products can also build-up over time and contribute to the appearance of greasy hair. Washing hair with hot water may also encourage the scalp to produce more oil.
– Hormones may also be to blame for oily hair. During puberty and pregnancy, the body’s hormones can easily become imbalanced, but an imbalance can also be experienced at any point in time if the conditions are right. When hormones are out of balance, it causes the scalp to produce an excessive amount of sebum, or oil. Once the hormones are balanced again, sebum production will go back to a normal state.
– Some people are genetically predisposed to having oily hair. If your parents or grandparents suffered with a greasy mane, you may have inherited this trait as well.
– Those with fine or thin hair are more likely to have issues with oily hair.
How to Care for Oily Hair
Caring for oily hair can be tricky. While some people will be able to rid themselves of this condition simply by sticking to a good hair care routine, others will find that their oily hair is a lifelong battle. Nevertheless, the tips below will help you develop an effective hair care routine that will keep oil production under control and allow you to enjoy sleek, shiny and healthy hair all year long.
1. Choose a shampoo designed for oily hair
It may seem obvious, but many people fail to buy the right shampoo for their hair type. If you are plagued with greasy hair, opt for a shampoo that’s designed for oily hair. This will help keep sebum production under control and prevent hair follicles from becoming clogged. Clear shampoos tend to work best. Formulas with tea tree oil are also recommended as it will help absorb more oil. In some cases, oily hair is caused by product build-up. To prevent this from happening, cleanse your hair with your favorite oily hair shampoo twice. Make sure that both shampoo and conditioner are thoroughly rinsed out before stepping out of the shower.
2. Apply conditioner to hair ends only
If you have an oily scalp, applying conditioner to your scalp and/or roots is asking for trouble. In doing so, you only encourage the scalp to produce more sebum. Conditioner can also clog hair follicles, which makes the problem even worse. Apply conditioner to the ends of your hair only and concentrate primarily on the tips. The ends of your hair tend to be the driest, while the roots of your hair don’t necessarily need any conditioning thanks to the scalp’s natural sebum.
3. Avoid using oils and serums on the roots
This is similar to the conditioner rule. If you are going to use oils and serums, avoid applying the product to your roots. This will only exacerbate the problem and make hair appear even oilier. Instead, place a small amount on the ends of your hair only. Remember: With serums and oils, a little goes a long way.
4. Massage the scalp when washing to thoroughly eliminate dirt and build-up
Massaging the scalp is one of the best ways to keep oily hair at bay. Many people lather up their shampoo and rinse without ever massaging the scalp. This can lead to build-up and insufficient cleansing. Take two minutes to gently massage the scalp after applying shampoo. Start at the crown of the head and work your way around the sides of the scalp, through the middle and down towards the base of the skull. Be gentle and avoid scratching the scalp as this can lead to an infection or make the problem worse.
Best Shampoo for Oily Hair – Top Picks
In the fight against oily hair, shampoo is your best weapon. This is what eliminates dirt and debris from the scalp, leaving it healthy and clean. Those with oily hair will need to purchase special shampoo to help keep sebum production under control. Below are some of the best oily hair shampoos on the market.
Maple Holistic Shampoo for Oily Hair with Organic Rosemary and Basil
If you prefer to take a holistic and natural approach to your oily hair problem, Maple Holistic’s “Degreaser” shampoo is your best bet. It contains anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory ingredients that keep the scalp balanced without drying out your hair. It’s most effective ingredients include:
- Lemon – Lemon has long been used as a natural cleanser. When applied to hair, it can cleanse away dirt and oil without stripping the hair of its natural oils. Lemon also has natural anti-bacterial properties, which help keep the scalp healthy.
- French Cypress – This effective ingredient helps to keep sebum production under control, which is the root cause of the problem.
- Basil – Basil helps to increase circulation and strengthen hair.
- Rosemary – Degrease uses Rosemary oil that is rich in verbenone, which is unlike other commercial Rosemary oils on the market today. This special compound helps to stimulate hair growth and improve cell renewal. Rosemary is also a natural astringent and reduces excess oil.
- Jojoba and Argan Oil – Jojoba’s molecular structure is similar to sebum. Both Argan and Jojoba oils will help keep the scalp moisturized and prevent dandruff from forming.
The great thing about this Maple Holistic shampoo is that it does not contain harsh ingredients or sulfates. Its formula is gentle enough for daily use and will not strip the hair of its natural oils.
Biolage Fortifying Shampoo Hair Shampoos
Biolage is one of the most respected brands in the hair care industry. They are known for producing quality products that actually deliver on their claims. Their Fortifying Shampoo is designed to balance the scalp and produce a deep cleansing without drying out the hair. Its main ingredients include:
Not only will this shampoo help keep your oily hair under control, but it will also prevent breakage and repair damaged hair.
Giovanni Golden Wheat Shampoo for Normal to Oily Hair
Thanks to its blend of natural and effective ingredients, Giovanni’s Golden Wheat Shampoo is one of the top pics for those suffering with an oily scalp. Its formula includes an infusion of effective herbal extracts, such as:
- Chamomile – Known for its soothing properties, Chamomile helps keep sebum under control while improving hair’s shine and body.
- Nettles – Nettles also helps to regulate sebum control and improves hair growth as well.
- Rosemary – Rosemary is an effective astringent that effectively removes oil without drying out the hair.
- Birch leaf – Much like Chamomile, this herb is well-known for its soothing properties and is often used in skincare products. It helps keep the scalp healthy and free from contaminants that can lead to oily or greasy hair.
- Thyme – When used in conjunction with Rosemary, Thyme further helps keep sebum production under control.
- St. John’s Wort – Long used to battle depression, this herb helps to strengthen the scalp’s natural defenses and prevent over-production of oil. Its anti-inflammatory properties help keep the scalp healthy.
- Balm mint – This natural herb helps soothe the scalp, which helps regulate oil production.
- Sage – Eliminates excess oil and encourages hair growth.
- Grapefruit seed – Helps fight scalp bacteria to keep hair looking healthy and strong.
Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo
Paul Mitchell’s Tea Tree shampoo is one of the best cleansers for oily hair. It combines the power of tea tree oil with the anti-bacterial properties of Rosemary to keep greasy hair under control. It also contains:
- Aloe Vera Leaf Juice
- Peppermint Leaf Oil
The peppermint and tea tree in the shampoo create a tingling sensation on the scalp and leave hair feeling incredibly fresh and clean.
L’Oreal Paris EverStrong Hydrate Shampoo
L’Oreal Paris’ Everstrong Hydrate Shampoo is the ideal choice for those on a tight budget. Although it may cost less than its high-end counterparts, the shampoo still performs well and helps keep oily hair at bay. Much like other popular products on the market, Everstrong contains:
These two ingredients alone can help prevent the overproduction of sebum and keep hair looking healthy and clean.
While there are many different brands and formulas on the market today, the list above will help you find the best shampoo for oily hair. It may be a process of trial and error until you find the perfect product, but it’s well worth the effort to enjoy a healthy mane that’s silky smooth, healthy and free from oil.